Try out this recipe for Crockpot Meatloaf using ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 chopped onion
1/4 cup shredded carrot
6-10 thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese (or 1-2 cups shredded)
BBQ Sauce (see recipe below)
Mix together ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, onion and carrot. Press in the bottom of a crockpot. Cook on low 3-4 hours. About 20 minutes before serving drain any grease from the crockpot and then top with the cheese. Replace the lid. Allow the cheese to melt thoroughly. Top with half of the BBQ sauce. Provide the rest of the BBQ sauce for people who want more.
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1 spoonful yellow mustard
Heat all ingredients in a saucepan until boiling and smooth.
- 1 lb ground beef- $1.88/lb this week at Albertson’s
- 2 eggs- FREE from my neighbor who has chickens
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs- $0.25 (estimate)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion- $0.10 (estimate)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot- $0.10 (estimate)
- cheese- FREE (2 percent Kraft Naturals cheese on sale through Tuesday at Albertson’s for $2. I used a $1 IP from my stash of Kraft coupons and a doubler from Sunday’s paper)
- brown sugar- $0.10 (estimate)
- ketchup- FREE (I used a Hunt’s coupon for a free bottle)
- mustard- FREE (from a bottle of French’s mustard I bought a couple weeks back with an Albertson’s doubler)
I plan on pairing this with a salad and some fresh peaches from Albertsons and I have a complete meal for less than $3 plus leftovers for the next day.
My family loves this meal! I always have the ingredients on hand and it is perfect for days when you will be gone for a few hours and want to come home to a hot meal. Even if you don’t like meatloaf, you might change your mind after trying this…